Work to start soon on Lynn Museum
Work on a £1 million revamp for Lynn museum is due to start in July. The project has been funded with £778,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund, £125,000 from Norfolk County Council and donations from other sources.
When complete, the new-look museum will include a new exhibition area and a collections study gallery allowing more objects to be displayed. Interactive displays will tell the history of Lynn and West Norfolk. There will also be better access for the disabled and new facilities for running educational activities and events. The Grade II listed building will also undergo necessary repairs during the revamp.
Originally a Union Baptist Chapel built in 1859, the distinctive building will benefit from new lighting, heating, environmental monitoring systems and alarms.
Building work is expected to last until December with the new facilities and temporary exhibitions open by Easter 2006 and the final displays in the summer of 2007.
Around half to two-thirds of the original timbers and the central stump of the Seahenge circle will be at the museum from early 2007. All the timbers from Seahenge, which made national headlines in 2001, will be at the museum but there won't be room to display the entire circle, although the final display sizes have yet to be finalised. The timbers are currently with the Marie Rose Trust in Portsmouth where work is being carried out to permanently preserve them so they can go on display. The treatment involves soaking the timbers in a wax substance before they are vacuum freeze-dried – a time-consuming process.
Posted by Rhiannon
19th May 2005ce
Edited 19th May 2005ce