|Quite low, no more than 75cm in height, the tree covered barrow is roughly 19 x 16m in diameter.
On the whole this mound is typical of the barrows that have survived on the enclosed farmland of the White Peak.
Surprisingly(?) both Batemans dug this mound, William first in the 1820's followed by son Thomas 20yrs later. A large number of finds were recorded. Consisting of an inhumation in a rock cut grave, a bronze dagger and a handful of quartz pebbles.
Elsewhere within the mound a polished stone axe, stone battleaxe, flint and bone tools along with sherds of Beaker pottery were found.
Further evidence revealed a re-use of the barrow in Romano-Britsh and Anglo-Saxon era.
The knoll is one of the 'woodlands for the millenium schemes' and so seems to be an excuse to pile a few millstones together and throw a meaningful poetic plaque at them. The view however is superb with barrows on horizons near and far in every direction.
Access is from the Mount Pleasant Farm side of the knoll.
J.Barnatt's "Barrow Corpus"
Posted by stubob
22nd March 2005ce
Edited 2nd June 2006ce