Duddo's monuments to be safeguarded
From the 'this is Berwick' website
A new partnership looks set to safeguard two of north Northumberland's ancient monuments.
Duddo Tower and Duddo Four Stones, both designated scheduled ancient monuments on the Duddo Estate, are being protected with funding from both Defra's Countryside Stewardship Scheme (CSS) and English Heritage.
The aim is to create a network of grass margins, new hedgerows, cover for wild birds and a programme of over-wintered stubbles on the 2000-acre estate. These measures will help local wildlife and fauna.
Duddo Four Stones is a prehistoric stone circle, situated within an arable field, which has now been protected by a buffer of grassland reversion, to prevent damage by ploughing or drilling.
In addition to the environmental work, CSS will also pay for new permissive access to the stones, allowing public access for the first time, hopefully to be completed early this year .
more at http://www.berwicktoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=970&ArticleID=918436
If you're wondering about the Four Stones/ Five Stones thing - apparently the fifth was reerrected in 1903. That's only a century to get used to the new name.
Posted by Rhiannon
13th January 2005ce
Edited 14th January 2005ce