|In 1857 a group of eight stone lined graves were found 10 to 12 yards south of this stone- brilliantly described in 1884 as a 'scene of slaughter and sepulchre.' The graves were lined E-W. Although this is characteristic of Christian burials, the contents included traces of bone, a food vessel and an Early Bronze Age ring (although these early finds may have bee placed in later graves). There is now no trace of the graves. When the cottage foundations were being dug a small cairn was found which contained fragments of bone, near to which were also a flint arrow-head and a stone hammer. In 1868 a further stone lined and E-W orientated grave was found this time 25 yards to the south of the main group of eight. This contained an adult male skeleton. In 1885 a bronze socketed axe was found in the garden of the cottage.
Posted by Martin
4th December 2003ce