|Like Cairnholy this is supposed to be the grave of the legendary King Galdus.
Symson, in his Description of Galloway, written in 1684, says--"
"In the high-way betwixt Wigton and Port-Patrick, about three miles westward of Wigton, is a plaine, called the 'Moor of Standing Stones of Torhouse,' in which there is a monument of three large whin-stones (called King Galdus's Tomb,) surrounded, at about twelve foot distance, with nineteen considerable great stones, (but none of them so great as the three first mentioned,) erected in a circumference. The manuscript is quoted by Thomas Murray in his 'The Literary History of Galloway' published 1822, and now online at Google Books.
In this moor, and not far form the tomb, are great heaps of small stones, (which the country people call Cairns) supposed by them to be the burial-place of the common soldiers. As also, at several placeds, distant from the monument, are here and there great single stones erected, which are also supposed to be the burial-place of his commanders and men of note." (Symson's MS Account of Galloway, Advocates' Library.)
One of the cairns nearby had its cist slab removed in the 19th century, and it was taken away to be used as a cover for a water conduit. Several people claimed to have seen a light emerging from the cairn at night, and moving along the route the slab was taken. On reaching the slab it would rest on it for a while before (presumably) disappearing.
(story from J&C Bord's 'Atlas of Magical Britain)
Posted by Rhiannon
30th October 2003ce
Edited 24th February 2007ce