The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Pudding Pie Hill

Round Barrow(s)


Edmund Hogg in his 'The Golden Vale of Mobray' (around 1910) thought the mound was from the 6th century - perhaps the artefacts were from a reuse of the barrow. His speculations are as romantic as thoughts about fairies:
A curious ancient Pack-horse Bridge (World's End Bridge) crosses the Codbeck (very picturesque hereabouts), and from hence the path leads to a tumulus on the east bank of the stream, known as ' Pudding Pie Hill," perhaps from its resemblance to a pie or pudding. The hill was opened about fifty years ago, and was found to be a funeral mound and contained skeletons, some in crouched postures. There were funeral urns mid other relics found, which were presented by Lady Frankland Russell to the York Museum. Until the mound was opened its origin had been a source of conjecture. Even Jefferson, the historian of Thirsk, says it was originally raised on which to build a watch tower for the Mowbray Castle of Thirsk. A most strange and foolish guess when we consider the height of the land immediately behind it. All speculation was set at rest by the excavation under the command of Lady Frankland Russell in 1855. The mound has probably been the burial place of a small band or the first Anglian settlers in this district, say about early in the 6th century. In the centre of the barrow, and 16 feet from the surface, lay the skeleton of a warrior of more than ordinary size. His legs and arms were crossed, his shield had rested on his breast, but the central boss of it only remained with the rivets which had held it to the wood. By his right side lay the handle of a sword, so that lie had probably been buried in full dress, with all his arms and accoutrements.

On the evidence, this warrior and leader of the band who had followed him hither from their homeland beyond the sea, had been first buried and then the huge mound raised over him, and afterwards the members of his clan had been laid to rest on either side and above, and further soil heaped over their bodies. The circumference of the mound at the base being upwards of 160 yards, and the height about 17 feet.
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
24th September 2003ce
Edited 1st April 2013ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment