The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Danby Rigg



Me and Tess driving over to Danby pass the wonderful Mother Mound, Freebrough Hill (Freyas Hill) once called the Silbury of the North.
Down into Danby then up to Ainthorpe, park-up and hike up to the Rigg. Elgee described the northern end of the Rigg as a Beaker burial ground, he wasn't wrong, your tripping over cairns. As we moved through, the mists came down which was exactly what the scene called for. From the cairn field we moved onto a well defined cairn circle with a lovely big standing stone on the edge. Then onto the cross dykes and a large round barrow with a lovely inscribed boulder perched on top stating the date of excavation and where the artifacts may be viewed (Whitby museum). Then we got a bit lost and decided to test our compass skills in the mist, to our suprise everything worked and we found a large hut circle exactly where we thought it would be. Bit more mooching then we dropped down into the wonderfully named Little Fryup Dale and the clement weather.
Down to Danby castle which has morphed from a ruined castle to a farmhouse and back to a castle (top abode). Further down the road is the Duck Bridge an 500 year old packhorse bridge. We sat under the bridge like a couple of trolls and ate our lunch listening to the voices eminating from the fast flowing water of the Esk.
All in all a top day, top company, top sites.

love Fitz
fitzcoraldo Posted by fitzcoraldo
16th October 2000ce
Edited 3rd November 2009ce

Comments (1)

Canon Atkinson claimed there used to be four large stones in the middle of this circle - a possible four-poster.

Danby Castle is a c.14th. fortified house. It was the home (or one of them) of the Latimer family, and, later, the Nevilles. Catherine Parr spent some time here as the wife of John Neville, to whom she was married 1534-1543, though their main residence was always Snape.

Duck Bridge dates from the 1380s. It used to be called Danby Castle Bridge until the early c.18th., when it was repaired by a man from Danby named Duck.
hotaire Posted by hotaire
3rd November 2009ce
You must be logged in to add a comment