The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Long Barrow


Details of long barrow on Pastscape

(SP2177 1877) Long Barrow (NR) (1) (SP2172 1868) A long barrow on the RAF Training School airfield of Little Rissington, excavated in 1934 by Mr Hauting, was 160 ft long, 80 ft wide, 7 ft high and aligned E-W.
The western end of the barrow formerly extended across a lane forming the county boundary into Gloucestershire. The centre
had been dug previously along the axis of the barrow to remove a passage and central chamber. Mr Hauting dug two trenches across the widest part of the mound finding slight remains of what he believed had been a burial chamber at the side. One of the two sherds he found, but which has been lost, was said to have been of Beaker ware but the other, now in Gloucester City Museum, may have belonged to a Bronze Age overhanging rim cinerary urn. A brick bomb shelter was built into the barrow during the 1939-45 war. (2) Visible on APs. (3)
The remains of a long-barrow, situated on level ground at SP 21701866, and orientated NE-SW with the higher end to the NE. The SW end and much of the NW side of the barrow is missing, the ground being occupied by airfield land and trackway, formerly a public road. In its present state the barrow measures 48.0m in length and 28.0m in greatest width. The height increases from 0.5m to 1.8m on the NE. There are no visible remains of side ditches. An old excavation trench can be seen along the axis from the NE end for a distance of 23.0m, The bomb shelter has apparently been removed but a small brick structure remains in the NW side. The barrow is densely covered with bushes. AM survey at 1:2500: transferred to PFD. (4)
Scheduled as 'Long barrow' (5) A Neolithic long barrow is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The site is centred on SP 2169 1865 and comprises a wedge shaped earthwork mound which measures 50 metres long and between 18 and 25 metres wide. A Second World War air raid shelter (SP 21 NW 22 / UID: 1402004) has been constructed against the northern side of the barrow, using material taken from the north-western corner of the site. This site has been mapped as part of the Cotswold Hills National Mapping Programme (7).
Chance Posted by Chance
22nd May 2016ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment