|Details of stone circle on Pastscape
(SX 5565 7820) Stone Circle (NR) (1)
The Langstone circle, diameter about 56 feet, was discovered in 1894 and restored. It consists of 16 stones, two of which are of fine sandstone, the remainder of ordinary moor-stone. There appears to have been an outer circle of which 3 stones remain on the west side (2). Only two stones of the outer circle remain in position, the third being broken and the pit-hole visible. These stones are described as being a fine-grained stone, and only one of the inner stones of this material. Diameter given as 67 feet (4). Visible on air photographs. (2-5)
On the flattish top of Langstone Moor at approximately 452.0m OD is the remains of a restored stone circle. It is ovoid, 21.0m by 19.0m, with irregularly placed stones of which four are erect, six fallen and the remainder reduced to stumps. They average 1.0m high and 0.5m square. The interior is devoid of detail. One erect stone of similar dimensions remains of the outer circle on the south west side, 3.0m outside the circle. The number of irregularly positioned shallow pits in the vicinity makes further identification of the outer circle indefinite. Revised at 1:10 000 on PFD and at 1:250. See ground photograph. (6)
The circle is located on the southern side of the flattish summit of Langstone Moor ridge at an altitude of 455m above OD. The site is overlooked by Great Mistor to the South and Wittor to the North and has views of Roos Tor and Staple Tor further down the ridge and the Walkham valley at Merrivale. The view to the east is slightly restricted by the rise of Cock's Hill.
Of the 16 stone of the restored circle only 11 now remain in-situ, though several of these are much shorter than they appear in Burnard's 1894 photograph, including five which can only be described as stumps. The tallest stone today stands to only 1.1m high though Burnard recorded stones of between 5 and 6 feet (1.5 - 1.8m). Fragments of the broken stones lie scattered on the ground around the erect stones. There are also five stones that are completely toppled . Of the two stones said by authority 3 to be outside the main circle, only one remains on the west side and stands to 0.7m high. Some remedial work was recently carried out by the DNPA, during which erosion hollows around four of the stones were filled. Small hollows outside the circle may be ordnance impact craters.
As planned the stones form a far from perfect circle. Although it is possible that in its original form the monument was an imperfect circle, this seems unlikely and it is perhaps more credible that the stones were re-erected incorrectly.
1. Standing intact, 1m high. Erosion hollow recently restored.
2. Stump 0.5m high on rebuilt concrete base. Top section lying on ground in 3 pieces.
3. Stump 0.45m high. Top section lies alongside. Original height c. 1.8m.
4. Stump 0.2m high. Three small fragments on ground beside.
5. Ground level stump. Top section on ground beside, 1.2m long.
6. Fallen slab 1.6m long plus fragments.
7. Stump 0.3m high plus shattered pieces.
8. Stump 0.4m high plus shattered pieces.
9. Standing intact, 1.1m high. Erosion hollow recently restored.
10. Fallen slab 1.5m long.
11. Edge-set slab, 0.7m high. Loose.
12. Fallen slab 1.25m long.
13. Fallen slab 1.35m long.
14. Standing, 0.9m high. Erosion hollow recently repaired.
15. Fallen slab 1.85m long plus shattered pieces.
16. Standing, 0.9m high. Splintered top section. Erosion hollow recently repaired.
17. Fallen 1.25m long.
Posted by Chance
12th April 2016ce