|Details of stone circle on Pastscape
SX 63878314. The Grey Wethers (NAT) Stone Circles (NR) (Restored (NAT) (1)
Two restored stone circles. In 1879, prior to restoration, the north circle had nine standing stones and six fallen stones;
while the south circle had seven standing stones and twenty fallen stones. Plan by W C Lukis in 1879 (2). When Spence Bate saw the circles in 1870 some stones had been recently removed apparently to repair the sides of the nearby leat. (2-5)
Authority 3 claims that several barrows have been found near to or in sight of the circles, but this is probably a reference to two barrows (SX 68 SW 18 & SX 68 SW 29) which were inspected in 1898. (6) Stone circles. (7)
Centred SX 63878314. The Grey Wethers are two well preserved, restored stone circles which are c.6m apart. They are situated in a shallow valley at 479m OD between Sittaford Tor (538m OD) to the W and rising ground (485m OD) to the NE. The area, under moorland pasture, has been disturbed by desultory amorphous diggings and shallow, natural erosion gullies.
The N circle, located on a level stance, has an internal diameter of approximately 31.7m with 20 upright stones and at least 4 ?socket holes (visible as irregular pits) which are on average 1m across and 0.3m deep. The White Horse leat (SX 68 SW 89) skirts the N-NE side.
The S circle, located on a slight E-facing slope, has an internal diameter of approximately 33m with 29 upright stones. The majority of these stones have been re-erected and some are now misaligned; almost all have groups of small packing stones around their bases. Tabulated list of stones in Archive. (8)
Posted by Chance
12th April 2016ce