|Visited: June 18, 2015
Right beside the roadside, just a kilometre to the west of the village of Bronneger, stand two conspicuous Bronze-Age Burial Mounds. The larger (eastern) of the grass-covered mounds is 15 metres wide and rises to a height of just over two metres; its companion, 60 metres to the west, is ten metres wide and two metres tall.
In the Google Map below, the burial mounds are indicated by red markers. For reference, the blue marker shows the location of Hunebed D25.
The information sign beside the larger mound states:
This mound, like the one situated a little to its west, was investigated in 1948 (by Albert van Giffen).
In contrast with the other mound, the study here afforded tangible results. The excavators found that the mound had been built up three times during the Bronze Age, between 2000 and 1200 BCE, and in the centre they uncovered a shallow, stone covered grave belonging to the first building phase (no other graves came to light).
Around the foot of the first and the third building phases, circles of stones were built around the mound, but these were partially demolished by stone thieves.
Posted by LesHamilton
26th June 2015ce
Edited 14th February 2016ce