|The story on the plaque of the Portbury Stone is as follows
On the 27th of september 1987 this ancient standing stone was recovered from the field below the church after having been buried in an old dew-pond since the early 1950's.
It is thought that the stone was originally erected in the late Neolitic period, ie around 2000 BC. It's precise purpose is not fully understood.
The stone is of a type found commonly in this area and would most likely have been quarried near to Conygar Hill.
The rock itself is of a type called Dolomite Conglomerate
and would originally be reddish-brown arising from the iron deposits in the soil.
Re-erection of the stone was carried out by members of the PORTBURY ASSOCIATION so that it might be preserved for posterity. Thanks are due to many people in the village who assisted in the rescue
Posted by vulcan
2nd May 2003ce