The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Cheddar Gorge and Gough's Cave

Cave / Rock Shelter


Details of Gough's Old Cave on Pastscape

Located a short distance west of the better known Gough's (New) Cave (ST 45 SE 10), the cave was originally known as The Great Stalactite Cavern, and was on show from at least the late 18th century (when it may also have been inhabited). By 1877, the proprietor was Richard Cox Gough, whose name became associated with it. However, by the 1890s the cave had been eclipsed both as a public attraction and an archaeological site, by Gough's New Cave. The cave clearly held a large accumulation of material, but much was removed during the 19th century with little record. The talus was removed without record in 1934. Sample excavation of what little remained in the way of cave deposits occurred between 1954-8, although the deposits proved to have been disturbed considerably. Finds included an assemblage of animal bones, including mammals and birds, from which 3 radiocarbon dates have been obtained, ranging from circa 12500 bp to 9300 bp. Iron Age and Romano-British pottery and quern fragments and features described as "hearths" were also found. Other Roman finds included a coin and a few bronze items.
Chance Posted by Chance
18th April 2015ce
Edited 3rd April 2016ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment