The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Culbone Stone

Christianised Site


Details of stone on Pastscape

SS83154732. In 1939-40 a cross-decorated stone of the 7th to 9th century was found in a wood or near the Culbone-Porlock boundary. It was over 3ft long, a slab of local Hangman grit, with an obliquely placed incised ring-cross having a projecting stem. It was re-erected in 1940 at the spot where it was found with 2ft showing above ground. The stone, as described by Grinsell, is in dense woodland at SS 83214736. It falls in Porlock parish but is so close to the
Culbone/Porlock boundary that this would seem to have been mered to the stone. Surveyed at 1:2500 (not on publication document).
SS 83204736. It is speculative as to whether the inscribed cross and circle was removed from the stone row 40m to the north (SS 84 NW 20) for its purpose, as it is very similar in size to the larger stones of that row. ST (should be SS) 832474. Incised stone W of Stent Hill. Scheduled.
A sandstone block, known as the Culbone Stone, found and re-erected in 1940. It is 0.65m high, 0.44m wide and 0.19m thick. A wheel cross is incised on its south-eastern face, 0.11m in diameter and cut to a depth of 0.004m. The lower right arm of the cross has been extended beyond the circle for 0.07m. This extension is wider, shallower and more crudely cut, perhaps it is a later addition. Grinsell (1) has suggested that this is a memorial stone of the 7th to 9th centuries (6). An inscribed cross is also visible on one of the stones of the adjacent stone row (SS 84 NW 20). (7)
Such simple monuments could be assigned to an early date, to the high Mediaeval, or even post-Mediaeval periods. (8)
Chance Posted by Chance
27th December 2014ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment