From the village of Shipham take the minor road east towards Charterhouse.
The Barrows are next to the road when it takes a sharp left then sharp right.
An O/S map would be useful.
There are 3 Barrows on the eastern side of the road and a single Barrow on the opposite side of the road. All are grass covered mounds.
The group of 3 Barrows are prominent and easy to see – they look in good condition.
The single Barrow opposite is ploughed down and trickier to spot. It is near a stone wall.
Worth a look when in the area.
The three barrows:
The barrows form part of a dispersed round barrow cemetery. The northernmost barrow is 20m x 2.5m, the central bowl barrow is 17m x 1.75m and the southernmost bowl barrow is 20m x 1.75m. All 3 barrows were partially excavated by R.F. Read in 1924 and by H. Taylor in 1932. There were finds from all 3 barrows including cremation burials, small ceramic cups, flint arrow heads, saddle querns and a spindle whorl.
A barrow mound 14m in diameter x 0.25m high. The barrow has been spread by cultivation. The barrow was partially excavated by R.F. Read in 1924. Finds included a cremation burial in a cist 1.2m long by 0.8m wide. The barrow mound was constructed with a retaining kerb of limestone blocks.
Posted by CARL
27th May 2014ce