The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Lescudjack Castle



The hill on the left-hand side is noted as having once had on its summit that "notable treble intrenchment of earth called Lescaddock Castle, that name referring to Cadock, earl of Cornwall, whose broad camp or castle of war it was, as tradition faith." Some write the name, Lescudjack, and others, Lesgud-zhek; the latter explained by Borlase as the "Castle of the Bloody Field." The provincial name of it was "The Giant's Rounds." The only portion of this fortification now remaining is a large raised circular mound, enclosing several fields. The mound is nearly perfect, and there is a pathway outside it which was probably the site of the original intrenchment.
From Rambles in Western Cornwall by the Footsteps of the Giants, by J. O. Halliwell-Phillipps (1861).
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
6th August 2013ce
Edited 6th August 2013ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment