The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

St Margarets Stone

Standing Stone / Menhir



It is an old tradition that Margaret, while walking from the scene of her
landing to Dunfermline, complained of fatigue, and on coming to the "huge Saxon stone" on the road, two and a-half miles south-east of Malcolm III.'s residence, is said to have for a while rested herself on it, and that on her frequent "journeys toe and froe" she often used it as a rest.
The neighbouring farm on the west takes its name from this traditional
circumstance, and is called St. Margaret's Stone Farm. In 1856 this stone
was removed to an adjacent site by order of the Road Surveyor in order to widen the road, which required no widening, as no additional traffic was
likely to ensue, but the reverse; it is, therefore, much to be regretted
that the old landmark was removed.
It is in contemplation to have the old stone replaced on its old site (as nearly as possible), and made to rest, with secure fixings, on a massive base, or plinth-stone.
This large stone, which has long had the name of St.Margaret's, is probably the last remnant of a Druid Circle or a Cromlech, and may have been placed here even before the beginning of the Christian era. At this early period the road would be a narrow "foot-way" or a "bridle-path."

From The Annals of Dunfermline.
fitzcoraldo Posted by fitzcoraldo
15th February 2003ce
Edited 23rd February 2003ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment