The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian


Standing Stone / Menhir



On the farm of Mr. Watchorn in this townland there is a very fine stone with rounded corners. It is marked 'Gallan' on the Ordnance map. Its height is six feet six inches and its greatest girth is thirteen feet two inches. There are two groovings on the west face, one very large on on the south, and three on the east. The large grooving on the south is two feet six inches long, and one foot wide at the top. The others vary in length from two feet six inches to one foot eight inches.

Locally this stone is called 'the six Fingers.' There is a tradition that it was thrown there by Finn Mac Cumhail from the top of Eagle Hill, Hacketstown.

Another tradition states that it rolls down occasionally to get a drink at the River Derreen, which flows close by. The same story is told by John McCall in his History of Clonmore about Killahookaun Big Stone, a large natural boulder of granite on the county boundary on Killalongford Hill.
From 'A group of grooved standing stones in North Carlow' by E O'Toole and G F Mitchell, in The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, v9 no2 (Jun 30th 1939).
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
29th November 2012ce
Edited 29th November 2012ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment