The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

The Longstone Cove

Standing Stones


Details of Stones on Pastscape

('A' SU 08896930; 'B' SU 08926933) Long Stones (NR). (1) The Beckhampton Long Stones, two standing stones, also known as "Longstone Cove","Adam and Eve", and the "Devil's Coits". In Aubrey's time there were three stones and Stukeley, who records the breaking up of the third stone, considered that they once formed "a cave or cell" on the northern side of the Beckhampton Avenue (see SU 06 NE 62), the smaller extant stone
(B) being part of the Avenue. (2) The larger stone, that at the SW (A) fell in 1911 and during its re-erection in the following year by B H and M E Cunnington a crouched skeleton with Bi beaker was discovered at its foot. Skeleton and beaker are now in Devizes Museum. (3)
The two sarsens remain standing in ploughland. The largest stone at SU 08896930 is 3.3m by 1.3m at base with a height of about 3.8m; the smaller 30.0m to the NE, is 2.2m by 2.3m at base and up to 3.5m high. Published 1:2500 survey correct; symbols redepicted. (4) See Avebury (SU 16 NW 22) and Beckhampton Avenue (SU 06 NE 62) for relevant bibliography, including discussions on the lack of evidence for the latter's existence. Ucko et al (5) report on geophysical survey within the area around the longstones, and raise the possibility that they may represent the remains of a distinct monument themselves, separate from Avebury. Burl (6), reviewing Ucko et al, appears to accept the suggestions of Stukeley and Twining that there was a "genuine Beckhampton Avenue" which included the Longstones in its course. (5-6)
Chance Posted by Chance
29th October 2012ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment