|Details of Long Barrow on Pastscape
Neolithic chambered long barrow excavated in 1855, 1909, 1936 and 1963. Multiple inhumation burials, Neolithic pottery and flakes were found
[ST 8773 7472] Lanhill Barrow [TI] (Long Barrow) [GT].
Lanhill Barrow is a long barrow, 185 feet long, 90 feet wide and 6 feet high, oriented E/W. It was partially excavated by J. Thurnam in 1855 who found two chambers previously opened and ruined and excavated a new chamber on the north side.
In 1909, Capt. and Mrs Cunnington excavated a chamber on the south side and in 1936, A.D. Passmore, with A.Keiller and S. Piggott excavated a chamber on the N.W. A dummy portal existed 35 feet from the east end. Finds from the successive excavations include multiple inhumation-burials, flint flakes and Ne 'A' sherds. The barrow is sometimes called Hubbas Low but this name was an invention of 17th c. antiquaries and Jackson states that there was no authority for any earlier use of the name.
In 1963 five parallel cuttings were made in Lanhill Long Barrow exposing the revetment wall and the greater part of the forecourt, the N.W. and the S. chamber. Sherds of Ebbsfleet and Hembury ware were recovered.
A long barrow 2.1 metres high. It has been overlaid in the N.E. and E. by earth from nearby road widening operations making
positive identification of the outline difficult. The chamber at ST 8772 7471 is still open and measures 2.8m. long x 1.5 m wide x 1.2m high. The revetment walls leading to this chamber have been rebuilt. See G.P. Surveyed at 1:2500.
Lanhill Long Barrow (name confirmed) is situated on low-lying ground; the mound and partially reconstructed chamber are well preserved. There are no traces of side ditches and the mound is approximately 53.0m long, 28.0m wide, and up to 2.5m high at the east end.
Posted by Chance
21st August 2012ce
Edited 24th October 2016ce