|Details of Long Barrow on Pastscape
Site of a Neolithic chambered tomb excavated in 1965 when human remains and Windmill Hill pottery were found.
[ST 7808 4890] STANDING STONE [OE] (Human bones found A.D. 1819) (1)
A large, chambered barrow, was completely levelled when the garden of Fromefield House was extended in, or about, 1820. Five
chambers, containing skeletons and pottery, were revealed, also a large stone which was reported as 'covering them'. The bones were left in situ and the stone, some 5 ft. high, erected over the site. (a)
Neolithic 'A' sherds from this Long Barrow are in Taunton Museum. (4)
Standing Stone - scheduled. (5)
The stone, which is 6 ft. x 3 ft. x 1 1/2 ft. stands, where published, in a thickly overgrown piece of ground owned by Mr. Cuss, formerly a gardener at Fromefield House: he has not found any re-interred bones. There is no trace of a mound.
Two stones at ST 7817 4897, in the garden of 'Stonelands', are thought to come from this barrow; both are standing, one 5 ft. and the other 2 ft. high. (See GP. AO/64/268/2). In the garden of 'Ormonde', at ST 7818 4897, is a prostrate stone measuring 6 ft. x 2 ft. x 1 1/4 ft. Surveyed at 1/2500. (6)
Two cuttings made in 1965 revealed that the mound was constructed of limestone slabs. Bases of six stoneholes were found, human bones, and some pottery. The remaining capstone, placed in a vertical position in 1820, was removed. (7)
The 1965 excavation was made for DOE prior to the levelling of the site and the building of a housing estate. The area had been much disturbed by the 1820 landscape gardening, but slight remains of a barrow mound were detected around the reset marker stone. Excavation across this mound and at the marker stone position discovered: (a) Six shallow holes, apparently randomly spaced, which could not be satisfactorily interpreted; (b) an aggregation of limestone slabs, which could have represented a collapsed peristalith or revetment wall, or might have been merely mound material; (c) fragmentary human bones representing at least 15 individuals, though most of the major bones were missing; (d) a few sherds of Windmill Hill pottery. It was concluded that the monument had been a stone-chambered tomb typologically similar to West Kennet. (8)
Posted by Chance
4th August 2012ce
Edited 20th January 2014ce