The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Giant's Quoiting Stone

Standing Stone / Menhir


It seems that the Giant's Quoiting Stone may once have been part of a pair of stones, Samuel Lewis writing in 1831 states,

'In this parish are the small villages of Port Erin and Port-le-Mary. Between these villages are the Giant’s Quoiting stones, two huge masses of unhewn clay-slate, about ten feet high, three feet wide and two feet thick. Within a mile of these is Fairy Hill, a barrow situated in a low morass from which two defiles lead to Port Erin bay and the creek of Fleswick: the hill is a truncated cone forty feet high, and one hundred and fifty yards in circumference, completely surrounded by a deep and wide ditch; on the summit is a circular excavation ten yards in diameter, with a regular parapet; the sides of the hill facing the defiles are almost perpendicular, and on the north-east side a a pathway to the summit is discernable'

From ‘ A Topographical Dictionary of England’ by Samuel Lewis 1831 vol 3, p230.

The Fairy Hill mentioned seems to be marked on the modern OS map as a 'Motte' just to the north east of Port Erin (SC205 696). The other Quoiting Stone is said to have stood on the slope of Cronk Skibbylt behind Cronk Road.
Ravenfeather Posted by Ravenfeather
21st March 2012ce
Edited 22nd March 2012ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment