Brightwell Heath, barrow cemetery (TM 242444) 4.75 miles E. of Ipswich. 1 mile NW of Brightwell (A 1093).Guide to prehistoric England - Nicholas Thomas 1976
This cemetery is unevenly scattered along the N side of a narrow E/W plantation. Originally there were at least 8 mounds. The survivors are beside and SW of the Devil's Ring (map ref. above).
This has a diam. of 120 ft. and consists of a low central mound surrounded by a ditch with an outer bank an enlarged
saucer-barrow. The bank is still 3 to 4 ft. high.
NW there are 2 bowl-barrows, the larger 110 ft. in diam. and 7 ft. high. the other 60 ft. in diam. and 6 ft. high.
To the SW there were 3 bowl-barrows, destroyed after excavation.
Further SW, at the W end of the plantation, there is a bowl-barrow 70 ft. in diam. and 6 ft. high.
Unfortunately, since this account was written in 1960, all except one of these barrows have been destroyed by ploughing. The survivor, crowned with fir trees, is beside the road across Foxhall Heath. It is still 3 ft. high.
Nothing is known of the contents of these mounds. Date. c. 1700-1400 BC.
Posted by Chance
28th February 2012ce
Edited 28th February 2012ce