The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
after info on sites on downs nr Avebury?
8 messages
Select a forum:
On my day of on Thursday I am planning a walk up onto the downs above Avebury to visit again the valley of the stones and the polisior stone, as well as to search for three prehistoric monuments, none of which I have been too before, or no know the exact location for:

(1) Avebury Down circle, recently scheduled as the 'Penning's Bell Barrow', a few Kilometres north east of the henge. As mentioned in The secrets of the Avebury Stones by T. Meaden.

(2) The cup marked sarsen stone located somewhere on Totterdown. As mentioned in two books by Peter Fowler. (Landscape Plotted
and Pieced/ Land of the Lettice Sweet Apple)

(3) The remains of the Manton Down Long Barrow which in 1996 was completely destroyed and the remains were dumped among some bushes, at the 'Old Chalk Pit' as marked on the OS map. Some 400 metres from the place where they
were made into a tomb. As mentioned in two books by Peter Fowler. (Landscape Plotted
and Pieced/ Land of the Lettice Sweet Apple)

As I will be trying to find the three sites for the first time, I was wandering whether anybody has visited them in recent year? If anybody has visited these sites, do they have any usefull information they can pass on to me before Thursday, that will make it easier for me to locate them in the landscape?

I am particularily after information as to the exact location of the cup marked sarsen Stone on Totterdown. From the information, maps and photos that I have from Peter Fowler's books I am finding it hard to pinpoint its eact location on an OS map

Pete G, as you seem to know a great deal about Avebury and the surrounding landsacape Perhaps you might be able to point me in the right dirtection as to the location of these sites?

Richard Hayward: (01722) 416171

Salisbury

Reply | with quote
Posted by copius-freakus2
20th January 2003ce
22:33

1 reply:

Eeek! (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: