The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Fave sites to visit after dark
11 messages
Select a forum:
That's a good question. I tend to visit hills more than megalithic sites if I'm out after sunset. Don't go as much as I would like to, mainly due to not really liking driving in the dark. The night does change places, even ones you can be very familiar with, also hill fog as Gladman rightly mentions. The sense of distance and scale alters. Cairns and outcrops seems to grow and loom out of the dark. I prefer being out on a hillside than in a forest. Circles and stones take on an otherworldly feel which I find a little unsettling. The torch illuminates the stones but as a consequence seems to make the surrounding area so much blacker and what hides there is always a worry to me.

I do wonder if some sites are really meant to be visited at night. If we could speak to the folk that build recumbent stone circles and told them we visited in the day, would they just laugh and say, 'that's all wrong, it's like going for your fish supper before the chippy's open'?

Your Mull of Galloway sounds fantastic.

Fave sites to visit after dark for me? – It’s Bennachie, as it is during the day. Magic place.

(Hope your other half is on the mend soon Mike, hip breaks aren't good)

Reply | with quote
thelonious
Posted by thelonious
19th October 2018ce
08:07

In reply to:

Fave sites to visit after dark (spencer)

Messages in this topic: