The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Reference to ley line 150 years before Watkins?
10 messages
Select a forum:
Ross wrote:
Hi all,

I may have found a reference to knowledge of leys, over 150 years before Watkins, in a survey of Stonehenge from 1747 by John Wood, architect of The Circus in Bath.

I've written a blog on it here:
https://sketchesofthegate.word[...]0-years-before-alfred-watkins/

In that blog I also propose that The Circus may have been deliberately built at the intersection of two ley lines I have discovered...

I'd be really interested to know what people think about the reference, as well as the ley lines detailed in the appendix.

Kind regards,

Ross

Can I be a bit sceptical please Ross ;) Wood the Elder did not finish the Circus, it was his son, and the The Circus leading down (Bennett Street?) to Queens Square makes a key outline as seen from above. A symbol of a Masonic design, and of course as you know there are symbols of a Druidic nature on the Circus. So ley lines could be accidental to the layout.
A few months ago someone got in touch with me looking for a 'moon' circle up on the racecourse near to the Blaythwait Arms, he had been writing about 'Sols Rock' which is in a garden (or was) further down the Lansdown.
For me the relevance of Bath is the high ground that surrounds it and the heavy presence of prehistory on the Lansdown.
Bath has a fascinating history, it has the goddess Sulis, noted by the Romans, it has the Wood's interpreting their ideas in the architecture, influenced by Stanton Drew and Stonehenge but whether it has ley lines as well I don't know, but then I don't know much about ley lines....

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
27th August 2018ce
12:23

Messages in this topic: