The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Suffolk Forum Start a topic | Search
Suffolk
Re: Exciting Neolithic spring site at Woodbridge
8 messages
Select a forum:
June, my sister and I went to Shapwick Heath yesterday, home of wooden tracks crossing the marshiness 5700 years ago. Being amongst all the water is so soothing. Dappled light coming through the stunted trees, reflections on the water, frogs plopping in, such a contrast with the burning conditions outside. I know it's not a spring, but perhaps there was a similar air of watery weirdness and stillness there, closeness to nature. I don't think that's just my judgement - it's quite near glastonbury so you might expect it, but there were more than a handful of hippyish women mooching around looking a bit spaced out!. I don't think they were there for the birds :) There was the most surreal huge lake covered in lilypads, an amazing sight. And we saw a marsh harrier and a bittern. I'm getting off the subject here. It'd be quite a trek for you but if you ever get the chance to go, it's definitely got an ancient squishy vegetationy vibe, I thoroughly recommend.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
29th June 2018ce
18:15

Messages in this topic: