The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Twyn y Parc Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Twyn y Parc
Re: Samhain sunset line
10 messages
Select a forum:
Yikaryd wrote:
An interesting site, I do not believe to be a defensive structure.. as the sun sets here on Samhain if bryn celli ddu is used as a focal point.

Must say I've felt for a long time now that hill forts had a dual purpose... the way many a Neolithic and Brionze Age monument were incorporated within sometimes quite cramped living space suggests to me that there was an 'other dimensional' aspect to hill forts; a combination of actual military power to metaphysical power. The siting of many, too - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8617/chesters.html is perhaps the most blatant example I've seen - also suggests there was a major aspect of 'bling' in the mix as well. Let's see how many banks and gateways we can have to get the message across to other tribes 'you don't even want to think about it'. So military (most certainly), ritualistic (seems that way to me) and sheer showing off.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
24th February 2018ce
17:55

In reply to:

Samhain sunset line (Yikaryd)

1 reply:

Re: Samhain sunset line (Monganaut)

Messages in this topic: