The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine PDF's
7 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
A lot of good stuff in there, no doubt.

I do love old archaeology books, they just have that extra bit of resonance.
Stuff on my shelves like Hippisley Cox Green Roads of England or the Collins field guide to archeology, Eric Wood. Just brilliant. For me some of the time the content isn't even the main thing, theres just something magical about them as objects.
I have the Piggott book on the WKLB excavations, its as good to look at as it is to read.

Yes I have some of those myself. Green Roads is wonderful as it Piggott's book. Great drawings in that. Another excellent one is Grinsell's The Ancient Burial Mounds of England. Cunnington's Introduction to the Archaeology of Wiltshire is another gem. However, by far, my favourite though is my copy of John Aubrey's Monumenta Britannica. To see his sketches and notes drawn up 'on site' takes me right there stood next to him! I bought it in 1980 and it cost me a fortune at the time nearly breaking the bank! Baked beans for the next few weeks was well worth it though :-)

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
3rd December 2017ce
21:35

In reply to:

Re: Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine PDF's (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: