The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stonehenge & Environs
37 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:

There would also be a lot more known about other areas of the county than there is now if money was thrown at it like it is at SH. Stonehenge is special of course, but how special would some other places be if treated in the same way. SH is not the centre of the universe and the only playground available for favoured archaeologists to come up with alternative theories year by year!
I think all the differing opinions, thoughts and ideas are becoming embarrassing

Well, attempting to understand cultures by devoting most of your energy to monuments marking their apogee - at the expense of the innumerable sites servicing the needs of the grass roots communities - seems to me like attempting to understanding Christianity in the UK by studying Canterbury Cathedral and ignoring what went on in village churches. Sure, the flagship monuments might well have represented what that culture's leaders thought people ought to be doing... but did they represent what people were actually doing in their own communities. To my mind the reality of the latter is much more important.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
4th November 2017ce
12:56

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge & Environs (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge & Environs (carol27)

Messages in this topic: