The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: OT:Land Lines - finding UK's favourite nature book
16 messages
Select a forum:
Well the book I am about to reread is 'The Plot - A Biography of an English Acre' by Madeline Bunting, basically because it is about my part of the world, North Yorkshire, and it tackles a lot of history. She has also written I see, 'Love of Country - A Hebridean Journey' which looks good as I have become fascinated by all those islands.
Latest book through the post, was Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris's 'Lost Words. Very sumptuous it picks out the words that the Oxford Children's Dictionary left out in lieu of the wretched technical terms we use today. It is for children? no it is for everyone. Anyone who follows Macfarlane on Twitter will know of his hunting out original words.... so a Macfarlane poem, to be spoken aloud ;) Wren

When wren whirrs from stone to furze the world around
her slows, for wren is quick, so quick she blurs the air
through which she flows, yes -

Rapid wren is needle, rapid wren is pin - and wren's song
is sharp-song, briar-song, thorn-song, and wren's flight
is dart-flight, flick fight, light-flight, yes -

Each wren etches. stitches, switches, glitches, yes -

Now you think you see wren, now you know you don't.

Reading online about stones I find there are many good blogs around to take you on the journey.

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
4th November 2017ce
07:25

Messages in this topic: