The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit at risk
16 messages
Select a forum:
thelonious wrote:
Sanctuary - a possible unrecorded circle! You don't half get up to some good stuff down there. Please keep us posted with any updates :-)

Hi Thelonious,
Yep we have a great time down here. From small beginnings I have gathered a fantastic group of stonehead volunteers and we have been granted permission to excavate some wonderful sites. As my local HAR officer recently said, 'You're one of us now', which was a wonderful gesture to the team. Those early beginnings of just reporting damage seen on days out and repairing the odd gate and fence here and there have certainly paid of as we became trusted.
The thing is, in these lack of funding and cutback days, it has created an opportunity for the likes of us here on TMA to offer our help. It has been quite amazing the progress and journey we have made from those early days and to cap it all to date, to be allowed to excavate the previously untouched Late Neolithic/Early Bronze-Age two stone circles and 300m stone row at Leskernick without an archaeologist being present, something I would never have believed possible. I walk out there on some days and just stand there amongst the remains of the Settlement and little tri-markers where the burials are and thank whoever is listening for letting me be so lucky.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
29th October 2017ce
16:08

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit at risk (thelonious)

1 reply:

Re: Trevethy Quoit at risk (thelonious)

Messages in this topic: