The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit at risk
16 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
I know Sanctuary knows more about this than me, but I am sure he will write it up soon. Is it the first time I have seen a cromlech 'at risk'?

"Trevethy Quoit is an outstanding example of a chambered tomb (also known as a portal dolmen) dating from the Early Neolithic period and is one of the best known archaeological monuments in Cornwall. It has been added to the Register as a result of increased erosion by livestock as well damage to the field and land caused by fencing. When the site came up for sale, Historic England helped to safeguard it by giving a £19,000 grant to the Cornish Heritage Trust to purchase the field. Historic England is working with the Trust and English Heritage to improve the site, protect the monument and ensure that it can still be enjoyed by local people and visitors."

https://historicengland.org.uk[...]new/news/heritage-at-risk-2017

I now have an update Moss...

The quoit was placed on the HAR register prior to the Trusts acquisition which was last November, so only breaking news because the list has just been published.

The hope is that it will be removed from the list in the near future as the Cornwall Heritage Trust have not been slow in determining the degree of risk. With regard to my concerns with the stability of the monument which were noted (I pointed out the huge reduction in the banking to the base of the monument over the years by the plough and stock and measured movement in the stones) it was discussed with EH in the spring and they have a very comprehensive monitoring system in place using modern technology to monitor any movement in the upright and leaning stones. Only time will tell but at the moment there are no plans for any intervention at this time.
Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
29th October 2017ce
12:44

In reply to:

Trevethy Quoit at risk (moss)

Messages in this topic: