The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: The Lawns, Swindon (+ sarsens/A D Passmore)
15 messages
Select a forum:
Mrs Ahab wrote:
Im now completley fascinated with this. Consider there is a church which dates back to at least 1100 on the same site. There ate two spings in the park and both coate and the demolished circle at burdrop are close by. Is anyone else in this thread and local? Id love to be in touch and find out more if anyone knows , maybe meet up for a walk there.

Hello Mrs Ahab, great to hear of your interest. I am local and The Lawns is one of my favourite local places. I have an A4 size booklet which I bought several years ago from the museum in Old Town by Denis Bird titled "The Story of Holy Rood" - if they still have it, worth getting hold of. He believed Holy Rood Church is built on an ancient burial mound. There is archaeological evidence in the Old Town Museum that the Lawns was the site of early prehistoric settlement. I personally like to think (with no evidence to back it up as such) that this settlement probably had connections with whatever was going on in Avebury.

All the best, please stay enthused as a while back the Old Town Traders were quite supportive to the possibility of nicking part of the Lawns as a car park to facilitate Old Town development plans. Thankfully, that all seems to have gone quiet just for now, but I'm watching ....

tjj

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
8th January 2018ce
16:49

Messages in this topic: