The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Memories
37 messages
Select a forum:
Well I am not sure how to start this thread but after the latest furore, some thoughts on how to approach a thread. We seem to have had a lot of rows over the years on the way threads are taken over by different things – SOMEONE IS NOT KEEPING ON TOPIC – think that is impossible. You could have sub-threads of course, either in the actual thread or started separately.

There is a spiritual side to wandering round stones which can be expressed quite simply as in the words below. This is what we find wandering amongst the landscapes and stone circles of this country a sense of peace, we take photos of sites, sometimes draw them, and generally revel in their ‘prehistoricness’.

My solution to all of you that have fallen out is to meet somewhere near Uffington, (there is a pub!) don’t argue about theories that may or may not be right. My memories of Wayland’s Smithy and Uffington White Horse are mostly happy ones, sitting for a long time amongst the beech leaves at Wayland with Moss my collie staring at me intently willing me to get up and go. A sadder episode was the scattering of ashes of someone called Treaclechops who contributed to TMA with such lovely writing.

As we clustered under the trees in the rain, Nigel was there also by the way, I spied a young man standing hesitantly outside the group, Wysefool I said and went to talk to this shy young man. He was wedded passionately to Wayland Smithy, go and read his contributions, find humility, sadly he has also passed away some time ago. Wysefool was also in his way a 'genius loci'

genius loci" - the distinctive atmosphere or essence of a particular place; the guardian spirit of a site/landscape.

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
22nd August 2017ce
08:54

3 replies:

Re: Memories (tjj)
Re: Memories (Howburn Digger)
Re: Memories (GLADMAN)

Messages in this topic: