The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: uffington horse and the sun
108 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
That's a very small element of th ways in which I was told I was wrong. What I was told was wrong, repeatedly, was that the horse doesn't align with any point on the horizon where the sun sets, therefore it could not possibly be interpreted as heading towards the sunset. .

If you said that it was aligned towards the sunset ,any sunset then you were wrong . I pointed out that the alignment couldn't be more wrong for sun horse as a comment not directed at you , but generally . I didn't realise you had also made that mistake .
The alignment is obvious , along it's back, tail to head , there is plenty of room for error for it still to be wrong .
I said that the horse is static , you disagreed . If there is any suggestion of a movement I would go for forward , it's nearly at the top ,it's also unlikely to do the sharp turn .It's pointed towards the castle and barrow , I thought that aspect of he discussion moot . I was much more concerned with the reality of the siting not the hypothetical movement and said so.

thesweetcheat wrote:

You maintain that interpreting the horse through perception or appearance is wrong: "others who were also using their perceptions and relying on the appearance got it wrong ." I do not accept that your perception is more or less right or wrong than anyone else's. It's their perception.

No I didn't
I maintained that the perception that the horse was directed towards a sunset was wrong .You can interpret through perception and appearance as much as you like , it might be right or wrong .In the above case it would be wrong .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
20th August 2017ce
09:46

In reply to:

Re: uffington horse and the sun (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: