The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: uffington horse and the sun
108 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:

You didn't explain why having the sunset in a particular direction is salient , but do seem keen to show that it is somehow important despite accepting
" that there's nothing whatever to prove a link between the horse and the sun "

I've never said it was important or salient. I've said throughout that none of this proves anything about the sun being relevant to the horse. I don't think it is in all likelihood.

The point I've been trying to get across is that you and ED are dismissing the possibility because of the fixed static alignment of the horse and the fact it doesn't line up with sunset. Whereas I take the view that the horse is capable of being interpreted as facing the sunset or moving towards it when you view it as an artistic representation from the direction where it is best seen as a horse, heading along a hillside. Not all intentions have to be explained by rigid proof or angles of alignment, in my view sometimes appearance and perception are equally as important when looking at a monument.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
19th August 2017ce
05:17

In reply to:

Re: uffington horse and the sun (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: