The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: uffington horse and the sun
108 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
They were of the horse and the sunset from the observing position was not to the right .

But even from there, if the sun is behind the viewer as ED suggests, the horse is still running generally towards it

No it isn't! I have absolutely no idea how you are you arriving at that conclusion.
It is very obviously not running generally towards it under those circumstances.

The horse is coming closer to the viewer along the crest, it's not running away from the viewer NE.

The line of the hillside that the horse is following heads away to the right of the photo then curves around the top of the manger. Once past the viewer it will be running WSW along the crest behind the viewer. And that's the direction where the sun is, behind the viewer.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

It wouldn't even be running NE if it was turned upside down, because it is not on a NE/SW line, as has been pointed out many times now.

From what I can gather, you are saying that if the horse stopped being on a broadly N/S line and was put on a NE/SW line, then it could be argued that it would be galloping toward the sunset. That would make some sense. But the reality is that it isn't 'pointing' SW, it's pointing almost S, where, as George has said, the sun does not rise or set. Never mind the curve of the hill or possible paths it might take, thats meaningless, the thing is not 'galloping' toward sunset!

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
18th August 2017ce
23:34

In reply to:

Re: uffington horse and the sun (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: