The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: uffington horse and the sun
108 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
tiompan wrote:
There is no precision required , the problems are obvious and gross .
The author suggests that the horse appears to be moving to the west ,a quick look at his plans , with no need for a measure shows this to be wrong . No science required , if he hadn't raised the nasty angles and alignments argument by mentioning west in the first place the refutation would never had been needed .
It is a static object , with a fixed orientation , that is a given, as the other Aubrey B said "Surely it is not my fault that they fall into certain lines and angles " , but if you do imagine where it might be moving to and you know the area you will know that it galloping towards Uffington Castle and the round barrow ,you would also know that it is not running towards any sunset , it is actually avoiding them all .

Surely it's horsiness can be seen from around this area http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1015913
the sunset will not be on your right then , but sunrise will and that is how the sun horsey types work , everything with a direction and a head fits into their schema even if it the right or the left is towards areas where the sun doesn't rise or set .

Come to think of it ,if you are on the train which runs roughly east to west and you can see the Horse as June did then your right is facing north or south depending on direction travel , somewhere the sun never sets or rises .

I can't really participate in this discussion as am away on family business. Interesting debate of course - the comment I made previously about the train was simply regarding the observation that at 8.00pm on 23 July the setting sun appeared to flood Uffington Hill with golden light. It felt like an illuminating moment. I thought of my father who died on 24 July some years ago. That's all. No grand theories to add.
Best as ever
J

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
18th August 2017ce
21:12

In reply to:

Re: uffington horse and the sun (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: