The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: uffington horse and the sun
108 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
I know we've probably argued this enough now, but I just want to say...

In Josh Pollard's Antiquity paper, he says "When observed from Dragon Hill at midwinter, a distinctive effect is created, whereby the sun rises immediately behind the horse and appears to roll just above its body, staying low to the horizon due to the truncation of the lower part of its arc by the high rise of the immediate topography."

But when you look at his very own diagram and photo of this, the midwinter sun isn't rising behind the horse at all.

The real problems are the contortions attempting to make the reader believe the horse is oriented east to west .
I thought that the above comment was one of lesser errors .
It's not a sun roll i.e. the sun is not rolling up or down the contour the hill ,it is simply rising above a fairly level hill top .The reason that the sun appears low is not due to any particular rise in the topography it's because it's one of the characteristics of the midwinter sun , it simply doesn't get very high in midwinter , there is no "high rise in the immediate topography ".

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
18th August 2017ce
13:25

In reply to:

uffington horse and the sun (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: