The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The danger of horses
16 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Great to hear a bit of Bert , that I haven't heard it before .
Is the tab the one done by Mike Walker ?
If so , Gordon Giltrap does the c as a pull on the b string , a close listen is called for , maybe Bert does both .

Well impressed with this bloke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIGLpK9aQI , anybody that gets close to Toumani on a kora is doing well but ....

Elmore is superficially simple too , only Earl Hooker got close for me .

Yes, Mike Walker, thats the one. He's done a brilliant job with that.

I do have a bit of a chuckle about Giltrap, he seems a really genuine and lovely person, with a real love for Berts stuff, that track in particular, and they were good friends I believe, but that live clip on youtube of him doing it is perhaps not his finest moment.
He plays the C on the B as you say, but I don't think that sounds right, i'm pretty sure Bert played the C on G, it lets the B string ring out open for longer. I've always played that part with the C on the G and the tab says it's that too, it just feels and sounds right to me.

All of the most difficult parts in that track come in the first half, the most difficult as far as i'm concerned is the section which moves up to the E on the A string, and then a little later the very quick run back down. After those bits are out of the way it's still challenging but you feel less like you are going to have some sort of seizure trying to get it right.

Yes, very impressive stuff on that video. Incredibly clean, precise, not something I excel at playing with just tips rather than nails/picks.

Never really heard much elmore, I will have a listen.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
6th August 2017ce
16:04

In reply to:

Re: The danger of horses (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: The danger of horses (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: