The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   U-Know! Start a topic | Search
U-Know!
Re: Genital mutilation..
17 messages
Select a forum:
dhajjieboy wrote:
Unlike yourself, I have too much respect for the membership here to 'doosh-up' threads with agenda driven FOX 'news' links...
You just can't help yourself....You had to turn this grave concern into an agenda driven political correctness spin-fest about bed-wetting, liberal,'snowflakes'....
I personally don't give a fuck about what FOX news thinks.
I personally don't give a fuck about what You think.
Edit: spelling

Did you not realize that in this case I was agreeing with you? Your first post rightly pointed out the problem in not criticizing FGM due to respect for "cultural diversity." I concurred, and pointed to a NYT article that purposely calls FGM by a more euphemistic name because FGM is, the author believed, a "culturally loaded term." I pointed to the NYT article as a negative example of what not to do. Isn't that exactly in line with the criticism you made in your first post? FGM is a barbaric practice which needs to be plainly exposed as such. Calling it "Female genital cutting" downplays the severity of it.

On another note, you apparently have difficulty understanding how sources work. If X source quotes person Y verbatim, then it doesn't matter what source is X, what matters is what person Y said. In this case, person Y said :

"I never minced words in describing exactly what form of cutting was involved, and there are many gradations of severity, and the terrible damage it did, and stayed away from the euphemistic circumcision, but chose to use the less culturally loaded term, genital cutting. There’s a gulf between the Western (and some African) advocates who campaign against the practice and the people who follow the rite, and I felt the language used widened that chasm."

This quote is in both the Fox News article and the original NYT article (which I also provided). Interesting how you avoid mentioning the NYT article...

Reply | with quote
Posted by phallus dei
26th April 2017ce
02:59

In reply to:

Re: Genital mutilation.. (dhajjieboy)

1 reply:

Re: Genital mutilation.. (dhajjieboy)

Messages in this topic: