The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The Pilgrimage
14 messages
Select a forum:
carol27 wrote:
Can't quite believe it but we're off to the Isle of Lewis & Orkneys. Unexpected windfall. I asked for one of those Chinese waving cats for me birthday & it worked..he he.
What I'd like to know is should we book ferrys in advance? Or can we just turn up? We go in May.
It takes a bit of organising this lark doesn't it? Have got accommodation sorted but the timings are tight. We have 8 whole days..yey! Downside is taking blokes best friend who doesn't wash a lot..hey ho:) Hope all well.

Hi Carol, I went to Lewis with a good friend four years ago - wanted to see Callanish before I die and all that. My good friend booked the ferries and flights from Birmingham to Inverness, I just coughed up my share. We hired a car at Inverness Airport and drove to Ullapool, stayed in a superb B&B overnight. I had smoked salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast. Big Mistake. Do not eat before getting on the ferry, it can get rough going across the Minch. It was a great holiday, saw all I wanted to see and so much more. The two things that stand out in my memory though are the golden eagle that watched us from a ridge near Bostadh, then hovered overhead. And ... being very sea sick on the crossing over (as was friend). Thought I was going to die - and did actually become quite ill on my return home. So the trip is overshadowed by that. But I live on, and am grateful. Back up to Scotland in May too - Kilmartin area.

Orkney is wonderful - went quite a while ago now on an organised trip. Would love to go back. I would say book ferries in advance.

PS: Take warm clothes, Lewis can be cold, wet and windy in May (speaking from experience).

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
15th April 2017ce
20:17

In reply to:

The Pilgrimage (carol27)

Messages in this topic: