The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Best base for Orkney trip?
28 messages
Select a forum:
Fitter Stoke wrote:
I'd agree with tjj and Evergreen that Stromness is your most convenient stop for the best sites. I stayed at The Ferry Inn last year. It was okay, nothing more - they weren't very flexible with Shetland ferry arrival times (when I was refused a drink at the bar at 11pm) or with early ones either (I had to miss out on breakfast on my last day) and that, with a very indifferent evening meal in the bar, made for a shall we say compromised experience. On my previous visit I stayed at the Stromness Hotel which was more expensive but worth the extra cost, especially if you can get one of the front facing rooms: excellent views. If you can afford it, I recommend staying there.

Kirkwall is a nice town with plenty of good bars to keep you busy in the eve, but the hotels are dearer.

Thanks, I'm booking somewhere in Stromness, no lack of availability in April thankfully.

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
2nd March 2017ce
20:08

In reply to:

Re: Best base for Orkney trip? (Fitter Stoke)

Messages in this topic: