The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Best base for Orkney trip?
28 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:
Hi folks, I'm going to Orkney for four days this Spring and would be interested in your experiences on places to stay. Kirkwall or Stromness? Somewhere else entirely?
Also, if I hire a car at the airport, what's the best way to see one or two of the islands? Bike hire?

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom!

I went to Orkney seven years ago though only briefly - spent the night (which never really got dark) on an overnight ferry to Shetland. Stromness was the first place I saw and liked it a lot - only there for a couple of hours but found a great bookshop where I bought the The Collected Poems of George Mackay Brown. The group I was with did spend some time in Kirkwall later on and I was quite impressed by St Magnus Cathedral - beautiful stained glass windows. It was from Stromness we traveled to Skara Brae, the Ring Brodgar and Stenness - so it may be a good place to base yourself. Sorry I can't help with specific B&Bs but am sure someone here will be able to.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
9th February 2017ce
23:21

In reply to:

Best base for Orkney trip? (CianMcLiam)

1 reply:

Re: Best base for Orkney trip? (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: