The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Cancer in the Neolithic?
104 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Is Pomo losing it's grip ?.

I sincerely hope so. (pun intended)

http://www.metamodernism.com/2[...]odernism-a-brief-introduction/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sincerity

In Franzen's "The Corrections " Chip sells his collection of critical theory books for a small fraction of their original cost , the money going on a fancy salmon to impress his girl friend .
Maybe starting soon , if it didn't start some time ago the pomo texts will start to fill up the second hand bookshops and the dosh spent on a nice bit of scran . Can't think of better use .
As for it's impact on archaeology , millions of student /lecturer hours spent attempting to understand it and a similar amount attempting to apply it unsuccessfully to the discipline. Then we have to wade through the resulting verbiage to discover , nothing .

Correct me if i'm facing in the wrong direction (and I do mean that) but I always imagined it was not so much directly applying postmodern thought to archaeology, as an explosion of subjectivity in light of all aspects of postmodern society?
Archaeology almost taken along in the flow, if you like.

Is discovering 'nothing' a fair thing to say?

Are you saying that subjectivity precludes the finding of truths?
I can see that, but would ask how better 'truths' are arrived at?

Without adopting a PP approach are we not in danger of finding lots, but saying very little?
Isn't it all then best just left in the ground?

See above re.subjectivity , the use /misreading of phenomenology is one aspect of subjectivity that has provided plenty of material but little light .

I don't have a problem with leaving it (or the vast majority) in the ground , for later generations .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
26th January 2017ce
16:19

In reply to:

Re: Cancer in the Neolithic? (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: