The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Arthur Mee
2 messages
Select a forum:
I looked at Costaexpresses recent TMA photographs of The Devil's Picking Rods and a memory stirred: where had I seen photographs of them, way back when I was ickle? It has dawned on me that it was probably in The Children's Encyclopedia, the Edwardian set of which was my Dad's...tatty and battered, they still gave the studious little me hours of reading pleasure. They were the creation of Arthur Mee, as was The King's England, a county by county series of guides. There is material of interest to TMA in all, though it's probably old hat to the likes of Rhiannon. I think I first became aware of Rudston long, long ago in the Children's Encyclopedia too. Wiki Mee. He did something good. It seems digitisation and reprinting may be ongoing. And read this, which should result in no further recommendation being needed to browse a second hand bookshop or two.. https://www.stellabooks.com/article/arthur-mee-kings-england

Reply | with quote
spencer
Posted by spencer
6th January 2017ce
03:03

1 reply:

Re: Arthur Mee (Wild Wooder)

Messages in this topic:

Arthur Mee (spencer, Jan 06, 2017, 03:03)