The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
Annexus Quam wrote:
Don't think so, just from the centre I seem to remember. I am reasonably sceptical. As with the Nebra disc, they sexed up this discovery at the time because it was such a huge find, too; but, orientations being so ambiguous and common in ancient sites, I am all for the poetic effect! And RC dates (also debatable) are on the whole very interesting because they agree with the spread of farming up the Danube.

Yep ,see above .I dug out the pie chart ,and it is more like the rondels are avoiding the solstices e.g. the best percentage for a solstice alignment , 20 degrees either side of the alignment (a huge amount ) was 6% . In common with a lot of monuments , with a single general orientation , east was the most common e.g. between 70-120 gave 23% but as they have multiple orientations , often almost directly opposite, a general westerly 250-300 degrees were at 21% . You won't find that on Google .(cough) .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
29th January 2017ce
15:43

Messages in this topic: