The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
Annexus Quam wrote:
It is always a quick periodical glimpse of something which accidentally catches my eye that forces me to go through the painstaking process of having to recover forgotten passwords when I want to log in, but I will be put off again, as it is required in every other device. The way he mentioned very old RC dates in Orcadian enclosures is what prompted me. Got to delve deeper into that. No-one expected the big complex there a decade ago, either. The way the bones under the slabs are seen (practical supports or ritual offerings) is also the eternal debate. Fascinating!

Thanks for the dates. The Hambledon dates are quite typical for the UK. It will be interesting to see developments up there and double-check his assertions. Yes, rondels and LBK centres like Gosseck is what sparked an interest from me years ago while in Germany. All those beautiful well-preserved enclosures from the 5th millennium in Poland, Bohemia, Bavaria, Switzerland... are always gagging to be visited. I often wonder if the lack of translations are often an impediment to the development of trans-national archaeological studies, though things are moving with university grants, visits, etc, luckily. Those long German names and the fact that archaeological studies are often unique in their country and obscure will perpetuate the notion that 'henge' is not a continental, most possibly imported notion.

Like the vole ;-)

For a quick casual view of Old European enclosures:

Http://oldeuropeanculture.blog[...]/henges-rondel-enclosures.html

[Stonehenge IS there again, of course, to calm the British psychological mindset ;-) ]

Google translate , sorts out a lot of problems .

Some of them , like Gosseck are quite clear and we have a much better idea of the actual orientations ,and much of the old ideas i'e' Pasztor . were ditched a long time ago . Very few ,if any solstice orientations . A few year ago I worked out the equinoctial moon possibilities and Fabio Silva did the stats , nothing of note there either .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
29th January 2017ce
15:31

Messages in this topic: