The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
CARL wrote:
I enjoyed episode 2 although not as much as the first episode. It had a bit of a 'filler' feel to it although I thought the boat making experiment was very interesting. Hopefully the 3rd episode will finish on a high! Still the best programme on TV at the moment! :)

Yup loads of filler. The boat making and sailing was very good as was the whales and the Tomb Of Eagles. One bone found at the Ness is a leap of faith to compare it with the Tomb Of Eagles but maybe episode 3 will have more to say on the matter.

Yes the boat making and sailing was good but hardly suitable for transporting cattle and goods as was suggested. You would surely require a much more substantial and larger craft for that and more manpower!
Another claim I thought seriously open to question was the large animal bones directly under the floor paving which was possibly for 'ritual offerings' (the good old standby). I think there is a good possibility that those large bones were used to stabilise those paving slabs as the slabs rested on them and not buried in any way under the soil itself. Makes sense to me and a really practical way of disposing of them rather than seeing them as ritual objects.

Just saying...

Hi Roy, more likely, if the bones were being discarded, they'd be flung into a consumption dyke rather than to level slabs. Plenty of flat stone up there for that type of job.

Reply | with quote
drewbhoy
Posted by drewbhoy
14th January 2017ce
19:40

Messages in this topic: